Skip to main content
  I love flowers! I have always regarded them as a witness of God's love for us. After a cold dark winter, I experience a thrill of joy as I discover the first green shoots pushing up through the frozen, dead earth. As small buds begin to form, I eagerly count them to see how many flowers I will have. I happily anticipate the beauty and joy that each flower will bring. I also feel a great sense of loss over buds that are lost before they have a chance to bloom. It saddens me to think that their beauty will never be seen. One of my most treasured dreams is that I might one day have a garden with myriads of flowers in a rainbow of colors. I would gather armfuls and fill the dark and sad corners of my home with their cheerful blooms.
   I imagine that God feels the same way about each of us. We are His treasured children! Each of us is a seed that He has lovingly sown here on this earth. We have great, even divine, potential inside us as the spirit children of a loving God. I can imagine the profound joy that He must feel when He sees us reach our potential. I can also imagine the sorrow, and great loss He must experince when He sees his precious ones cut down by life's storms.
   God has said, " For behold, this is my work and my glory- to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man" (The Pearl of Great Price, Moses 1:39). How blessed we are to have a loving Father in Heaven, one who is concerned about our welfare. A Father whose greatest glory is to see His children blossom and return to him in purity.  We do not fully realize the beauty that is within us, but if we give our lives over to the master gardener we will be amazed at what we can become!
    

Comments

  1. You quoted one of my favorite poems! Your grandma would say that the Irish gardening gene was passed down to you! Good luck on your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hold Fast

When I was fourteen I participated in an activity at Young Women's camp that left a deep impression on me. To begin with, each girl was blindfolded. We were then led to several different stations where people representing prophets from The Book of Mormon shared specific scriptures with us. After being led to several stations each girl was led to a place where our hand was placed on a suspended rope and we were told to walk forward. It wasn't long before I bumped into someone ahead of me on the rope and a kindly sounding voice approached me saying, "You bumped into someone. You need to start over." Without questioning I let go of the rope and the kindly voice led me back to the beginning. This scenario played out multiple times over the next several minutes. The last time I started to get frustrated. I could not figure out how to move forward, and was starting to wonder if I would ever reach my destination. Suddenly, with great force, I un...

The Light of the World

  When Jesus came into this world, His birth was accompanied by signs in the heavens. In addition to the new star that shone over Israel, there was another sign given to the people of the Americas. Of all the signs proclaiming the Lord's birth, this is the one that I love the most.    The period preceding the birth of Christ was a turbulent one for the Nephites.  While the believers of Christ were anticipating the sign of his birth, the unbelievers had appointed a date by which, if the sign had not appeared, all the believers would be put to death.    I can only imagine the turmoil of emotion that the believers must have felt. They must have rejoiced in the knowledge that our Savior was soon to be born; conversely, they must have feared for their lives and for the lives of their loved ones, and wondered if they would be alive to witness the sign of Christ's birth.    Fearing for the lives of his people, the prophet Nephi went before t...

Time

   When we are born into this world, mortality seems to stretch out like the endless sea before us. The vastness of time often overwhelms us in those early years of life, when we feel that we have all the time in the world. At some point, however, we come to the realization that time is fleeting and unpredictable. We learn that we will never be able to accomplish all that we desire to do in this life.     Something that we have been counseled to guard against is idleness, or wasting our time on meaningless activities. Considering that it is natural for us to seek out pleasure, it can be a constant struggle to learn how draw the line between healthy amounts recreation, and overindulgence in such activities.    The leaders of the LDS church have consistently counseled us to use our time wisely. Elder Ian S. Arden of the Quorum of the Seventy said, "To have the peace the Savior speaks of (see John 14:27), we must devote our time to the things that matter mos...